Our company was created in 1897, with the name “Klischee-Anstalt Cl. Jaehde Galvanoplastische Anstalt und Stereotypie” in Kreuzberg, Berlin. The founder, Clara Jaehde, and her husband, Felix Jaehde, had three children. The youngest daughter, Erna Jaehde, married an electrotyper working in the firm, Karl Partenheimer. In 1928, he took over the company, which was completely destroyed in a bombing raid in 1944.
THE SEA CHANGE
After 1945, the company's owner built up the business again from scratch in East Berlin. Living in West Berlin and working in East Berlin, in 1952 he became the victim of contemporary history. The compulsory acquisition of the company obliged him to start all over again, now back in Kreuzberg, in a typical Berlin Gewerbehof (early industrial complex).
The decreasing importance of letterpress printing prompted the owner to shift his company's focus. The production of electro and stereo plates for letterpress printers in the Berlin area was reduced, and more and more rubber plates were produced for flexography printing.
THE THIRD GENERATION
In 1975, the founder's grandson, Ferdinand Schlegal, took over the business. The company is still reaping the benefits today of his clear focus on flexo plate production. The creation of the reproduction department and of the phototypesetting process completed the company's service range. Production mainly serviced the enclave of West Berlin; only flexo plates for the prize award ceremonies were shipped to the Federal Republic of Germany and western Europe.
MODERNISATION & EXPANSION
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the business was acquired by Bernd Rohn. He and his wife, Rosemarie Rohn, expanded and modernised production. The switch was made to environmentally friendly technology, and computer technology replaced phototypesetting. The sales division was expanded and cross-regional commercialisation extended and completed.
GROWTH REQUIRES SPACE
The constant investments in new technologies meant that the premises soon became too small. At the turn of the millennium, the company moved to the Motzener Straße industrial estate in the south-east of Berlin. Its generous spaces provided the necessary room for innovative and forward-looking technologies.
In 2009, the long tradition of an owner-managed company ended, with new owners and the change to GmbH status. Peter Tarnowski is now at the company's helm as managing shareholder.